League History

League History

The League was formed in February 1928 following the Annual General Meeting of Carmarthen County Bowling Association, which, in itself had only been in existence for two years.

The need to create a League followed a decision of the Swansea & District League to debar Llanelli Clubs and restrict its member clubs to those in the Swansea Borough. Capt. A. E. Edwards (who went on to be County Chairman the following year) was elected as the League's first Chairman with a Mr Worrel of Llangennech being the initial Honorary Secretary.

As the League developed new teams came and went and by 1984 the League had a membership of 35 clubs playing in four Divisions.

The decline in membership, the closure of greens and the folding of clubs, sometimes caused by decisions of Local Authorities, has reduced the number of clubs to 26 with membership halved in less than 20 years.

The League combined with Carmarthen County Bowling Association in 2005 and is controlled by the member clubs with day to day operation being performed by a League Secretary together with a Management Committee representing all League Divisions

The information on the attached pages is what is currently known.

Unfortunately many of the records have been lost over the ensuing years but hopefully further research will reveal more information.